With the advent of the digitalisation of every nook and corner of a common Indian citizen’s livelihood, the Aadhaar has proved to be the cornerstone of everything. From opening a bank account to purchasing a property, from getting a sim card to getting a visa, your Aadhaar Card is your most essential proof of identification. A unique 12 digit identification number provided by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) proves to be the go-to document for accessing the variety of schemes and subsidies sanctioned by the Government of India. RIght from authenticating the citizenship to tracking monthly consumption of provisions through the Public Distribution System, the Aadhaar encapsulates a variety of tasks in one simple-to-carry card.
The Government of India has been pushing to make Aadhaar the key documentation for each Indian citizen for quite some time now. Provisions to link various documents like the ration card, PAN, etc., to Aadhaar have been made to make the various interactions/services transparent and seamless. It has thus become imperative for one to possess an Aadhaar. This article aims to walk you through the process of filling out any Aadhaar form.
- The Aadhaar enrolment form is free of cost, but the Aadhaar correction form costs Rs. 50.
- You will need to physically submit the documents for enrolment of Aadhaar and update your biometrics.
- You can download your e-Aadhaar from the Aadhaar enrolment section of the uidai.gov.in website
How to Fill the Aadhaar Enrolment Form
The Aadhaar has become the face of the digital revolution spearheaded by the Government of India. Hence, it has become a document that every Indian citizen must possess. The Government of India has made it free of cost to procure an Aadhaar, too, making the whole process that much more affordable and smoother. Let us walk you through the steps and details needed to enrol for an Aadhaar.
Step 1: Visit www.uidai.gov.in to download the Aadhaar Enrollment form online. You can also visit your local Aadhaar Enrollment Center run by the UIDAI or Registrar to get the form. To find your nearest Aadhaar Enrollment Center, click the ‘Locate an Enrollment Center Near You’ option and fill your State and Pincode in the stipulated boxes.
Did You Know?
Your Aadhaar Card number remains valid for a lifetime, even if you make changes to the Aadhaar details.
Step 2: The enrollment form is a 2-page document with 9 mandatory fields to be filled. They are
- Pre-enrollment ID
- In case of update, Aadhaar Number.
- Full Name (be careful to avoid any spelling mistakes and make sure it’s the same as it is in your birth certificate or passport)
- Details of Father/Mother/Guardian
- Details of documents submitted
- Introducer Details
Step 3: Check the entered details and verify their authenticity with your thumb impression or signature.
Step 4: Attach the filled Enrollment form with the required documents and submit it to the Aadhaar Enrollment Center. The documents required are printed on the second page of the Enrollment/Correction Form. Some examples are
- Proof of Identity Documents – Passport, PAN card, Ration card, Voter ID, Driving License.
- Proof of Address Documents – Passport, Bank statement passbook, Ration card, Voter ID, Driving License
- Proof of Relationship Documents – Ration card, Pension card, Birth certificate, Marriage certificate, Passport.
- Proof of Date of Birth – Birth certificate, PAN card, Passport, SSLC certificate
Step 5: The staff would take a picture of the applicant along with biometric verification (thumbprint and iris scan). This data will be added to your application.
Step 6: Collect the acknowledgement slip. Make a note of your Enrollment ID, as this is important in tracking your application.
Instructions To Be Kept In Mind
- Use only capital letters to fill in your particulars. Write clearly and legibly. Refrain from making spelling errors and avoid overwriting.
- It is mandatory to enter a Registered Mobile Number.
- Submit the same documents that you’ve declared as documents of proof.
- Always remember to verify the data you’ve provided with a thumb impression or a valid signature.
Did You Know?
Over 131.68 crore Aadhaar numbers have been issued by the UIDAI to date!
How to fill out the Aadhaar Card Correction Form?
To correct any mistakes in your particulars linked with your Aadhar, the same enrollment form can be used. Here are some tidbits regarding Aadhar correction.
- Download the form from the UIDAI portal (www.uidai.gov.in) or from your local Aadhar enrollment centre.
- You would have to pay a fee of Rs50 for the correction of details linked to your Aadhar. It is NOT free of cost.
- You are expected to provide relevant documents pertaining to the changes that you’ve made and they are subjected to verification before your changes are updated.
- Address changes can be updated online and through the post.
What to do when the Aadhaar form for enrolment or correction gets rejected?
There are 5 reasons why your request for updating the Aadhaar Card details can be rejected.
- Wrong proof of address, proof of identification documents or other supporting documents
- The proof of address and proof of identification photocopies are not self-attested
- A Transliteration Error refers to a mismatch of the details entered and the documents submitted like a missing letter in the name.
- The documents submitted were not scanned copies of the original document.
- Registered mobile number is different.
In such a case, you will have to re-enrol with the proper documents.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If the applicant is under the age of 5, the parents/guardians must provide all details, verify and apply for Aadhaar.
Authentication of the Aadhaar card is necessary for accessing all of its functions. If authentication hasn’t been done, it can be done by submitting a biometric scan at the enrollment centre.
Yes, you can track your enrollment process online with the Enrollment ID provided to you in the acknowledgement slip.
No, you have to be physically present and show your document at the Aadhaar enrolment centre. Your biometrics will also be captured.
The Aadhaar software is equipped to handle such exceptions. You can still enroll for Aadhaar Card.
You can download your e-Aadhaar from the Aadhaar enrolment section of the uidai.gov.in website.
You can only change your name on the Aadhaar Card up to 2 times.
You cannot change your date of birth on your Aadhaar card unless there was an error while entering the data.
You can change your gender on the Aadhaar Card only once.
You can submit any address proof. However, you will have to confirm the address to which you want your Aadhaar letter to be delivered.
You can use your registered mobile number for retrieving the EID. Head over to the uidai.gov.in website and click on the “Retrieve Lost UID/EID” tab under Section Aadhaar or head over to https://resident.uidai.gov.in/lost-uideid. Enter your name and mobile number and your EID will come to your registered mobile number.
If you don’t have a registered mobile number, you will have to visit a Permanent Aadhaar Enrolment centre near your location.
Read more about Aadhaar Virtual ID.