The Aadhaar has proved to be a one-stop solution for a variety of issues, ranging from checking into hotel rooms to verifying important documents like passports. Aadhaar has become synonymous with the identity of an Indian citizen, especially in today’s Digital India. The government’s efforts to make the Aadhaar a focal point for all the paperwork an Indian citizen is expected to possess is proving to be a masterstroke with each passing day.
One such recent measure in the universalisation of Aadhaar is the decision to link one’s ration card with their Aadhaar.
- The deadline to link your aadhaar with your ration card has been extended to 30 June 2022
- You can link your aadhaar link with your ration card using online or offline methods
- Linking Ration Card with Aadhaar is important to continue availing several benefits like LPG subsidies
Words to Remember
UID – Unique Identification – this is nothing but your Aadhaar number.
Aadhaar Seeding – linking Aadhaar to other documents like PAN, Ration Card, etc.
Why should you link your Ration Card with your Aadhaar?
The ration card has long proved to be the most important document for every citizen, especially for those belonging to the lower economic strata. From identification to procuring monthly provisions, the ration card system has played a vital role in the functioning of our country.
With the introduction of digital measures, like the SMS system and ‘Smart Cards’ at ration shops, it makes utmost sense to link one’s ration card to their Aadhaar for more seamless functioning. Right from census activities to availing government schemes, this move will prove to make everything more accessible.
How to link aadhaar card with ration card
The ration card, issued by the State Government, is the official document through which Indian citizens purchase their monthly provisions via the Public Distribution System. It has become essential to link it to one’s Aadhaar to avail several benefits, like the subsidies on LPG offered by the Government. It also helps prevent identity theft and fraudulent behaviour.
The deadline for linking one’s ration card to their Aadhaar has now been extended to 30 June 2022. You can link it via online and offline methods. This article aims to walk the reader through each and every step of the process.
Learn the Basics
Public Distribution System (PDS) – An Indian Security System for food established by the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution. PDS manages the scarcity of food through a systematic distribution of food grains to those in need at subsidised rates. The essential commodities like rice, sugar, wheat, and kerosene are currently being allocated for distribution. Some states also distribute iodized salt, pulses, edible oils, and spices,
LPG Subsidy – The scheme was available for up to 12 cylinders every year where the government would give a nominal cashback on the value of LPG cylinders paid by the citizens of India.
1) Linking Ration Card To Aadhaar Online
Step 1: Visit your respective State’s official PDS portal website.
Step 2: Enter your Ration Card number in the specified space.
Step 3: Enter your 12 digit Unique Identification Number found on your Aadhaar card.
Step 4: Enter the registered mobile number.
Step 5: Check the entered details and click on the ‘Submit/Continue’ option to proceed.
Step 6: You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
Step 7: Enter the OTP you received in the stipulated space to submit your request for linking the ration card to Aadhaar.
Every State’s PDS portal has the option of linking Ration Card with Aadhaar Card.
2) Linking Ration Card To Aadhaar Offline:
Visit your local ration/PDS shop with the following documents to link your ration card to your Aadhaar.
- Photocopy of existing ration card along with copies of Aadhaar card.
- Passport size photo of the head of the family.
- Copy of bank passbook (In case of bank account isn’t linked to Aadhaar)
Submit all these documents at the local PDS/Ration shop. The representative at the store might ask for your fingerprint if you hadn’t authenticated your Aadhaar before.
Once the documents have been submitted, you will receive an SMS alert to your registered mobile number. Once the documents have been linked successfully, you will receive one more SMS.
Process to Link Ration Card with Aadhaar through SMS
- Type “UID SEED <State Short Code> <Scheme/Program Short Code> <Scheme/Program ID> <Aadhaar Number>” and then send it to “51969”. For example: UID SEED MH POSC 9834563 123456789000.
- Finally, the application will receive the notifications providing the receipt of the information, successful verification and successful linking of Aadhaar card with Ration card.
Benefits Of Linking Ration Card To Aadhaar
- Keep track of the number of provisions sold to prevent hoarding and illegal sales.
- Cut down the incidence of multiple ration cards for one family by linking to Aadhaar. Helps prevent hoarding of groceries.
- Streamlined and effective dispersion of Government schemes and subsidies through a biometric-authenticated system.
- Reduce fake ration cards, thus making sure citizens below the poverty line (BPL) get subsidies meant for them.
- Creating an audit trail, thus eliminating fraudulent middlemen.
Documents Required for Linking Aadhaar Card With Ration Card
- A photocopy of the original ration card
- The original ration card for on-site verification
- Photocopies of the Aadhaar of every family member
- Passport size photo of the head of the family
- Copy of the passbook if the Bank is not linked to the Aadhaar
Pros and Cons of Ration Card linked to Aadhaar
- No more duplication of ration cards
- If multiple ration cards were issued under one name, they can be cancelled
- Exploitation of PDS resources can be mitigated
- Biometric will ensure the subsidies are only availed by the actual beneficiaries
- Documentation will eliminate middlemen who manipulated the system and exploited the resources
- Unauthorised access to biometrics may result in mismatch of benefits when someone else misuses it
- Stringent rules might inconvenience some people
- It could be extremely difficult to reach the poor people and make them link ration cards with Aadhaar.
- Some rural parts may not have proper Aadhaar facilities yet and there could issues like mismatch of Aadhaar and Ration Card details. This may make the process of Ration Card and Aadhaar linking an extremely tedious one.
The One Nation One Ration Card Scheme was launched by the government in 2019 to assist daily wage workers and others in the lower economic environment avail the benefits of food subsidies. The government is encouraging the country’s progression towards a Digital India through the Aadhaar and bringing all other identification documents under one bracket. Follow these simple steps and complete your Ration card Aadhaar link before the due date to avoid penalties.
Frequently Asked Questions
Authentication of the Aadhaar card is necessary for accessing all of its functions. If authentication hasn’t been done, it can be done by submitting a biometric scan at the PDS/Ration shop while linking Aadhaar and ration card.
No! Like the other various schemes the Government of India has introduced for our betterment, this feature, much like the issuing of Aadhaar card, is completely free of cost.
Submit a copy of your ration card along with a photocopy of your Aadhaar card to your nearest PDS/Ration shop to check if your ration card has already been linked to your Aadhaar. A biometric scan will be conducted to authenticate your Aadhaar if it hasn’t been authenticated prior to this.
Yes! It is possible to update your ration card details online. Follow the following steps.
Visit your respective State’s online Public Distribution System portal.
Enter your Ration card number.
Enter your Registered Mobile Number. You will receive an OTP. Enter it.
Update the necessary details upon verifying OTP.
Your request to update information will be processed.
Any citizen of India can hold a ration card.
Read more about Aadhaar Virtual ID.