The Aadhaar card is the unique standardised identification card for all citizens of India provided by the government. It contains the personal details, address proof, and biometric data of a citizen. It is a 12-digit alphanumeric number issued by the UIDAI. On the other hand, the PAN card is a permanent account number, mainly used as a unique id for income tax purposes. It is a ten-digit alphanumeric number issued by the income tax department. Both Aadhaar and PAN cards have become mandatory for most financial transactions. The Aadhaar card has a broader application and is used to enter airports or get a mobile connection and electricity connection, among other applications. Together they provide all information required about a citizen to various agencies, depending on the purpose.
Key points to keep in mind about linking your Aadhaar with PAN card
- If the PAN and Aadhaar are not linked by the date specified by the government of India, the former becomes inactive. This means you will not be able to file income tax returns or perform the other activities that need you to access your PAN card.
- If the linking is done after 31st March 2022, you will have to pay the penalty.
- Tax deduction at source or tax computation at source will be computed higher when the PAN becomes invalid.
- Many banking services will be beyond your purview. Some of them are:-
– Banking services like starting a fixed deposit or opening a savings account with a balance of more than Rs.50,000
– Getting a new debit card/credit card
– Invest or redeem mutual funds
– Purchase foreign currency beyond Rs. 50,000.
You may be wondering how to check if your Aadhaar and PAN are linked. Below is a step-by-step process to help you link Aadhaar and PAN card online through the Indian Income Tax E-Filing website:
Step 1. Visit the https://eportal.incometax.gov.in/iec/foservices/#/login website and click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ option under the quick links.
Step 2. Enter your PAN and Aadhaar number in the boxes provided.
Step 3. Your name has to be entered as per the Aadhaar card.
Step 4. Please tick the appropriate box where the date of birth is mentioned on your Aadhaar card. Ensure all the personal details mentioned on the Aadhaar card and PAN card match. If they don’t, you may need to get them updated.
Step 5. ‘I agree to validate my Aadhaar details with UIDAI’. Please tick this box.
Step 6. Click on the ‘Link Aadhaar’ button.
Step 7. Next, enter the OTP you receive on your mobile number in the box provided and click on ‘Validate’.
Step 8. Check the View Link Aadhaar status option after successfully entering all the details.
Step9. The website will show the successful Aadhaar – PAN link status.
Step 10. The above steps will ensure that you have successfully linked your Aadhaar with your PAN card.
You can also link your Aadhaar card to your PAN card by following the steps given below:
- Go to ttps://www.PAN.utiitsl.com/PANAadhaarlink/forms/PAN.html/PANAadhaar
- Enter your PAN number and date of birth in the boxes provided.
- Enter captcha details in the box provided.
- Your Aadhaar and PAN card are linked.
How to check PAN and Aadhaar link status through SMS?
Users can check their PAN Aadhaar linking status through SMS by sending an SMS to the following numbers 567678 or 56161 in the following format-
- UIDPAN <12 digit Aadhaar number> <10 digit Permanent Account Number>
- Next, users will receive a message stating their PAN Aadhaar linking status.
- You should immediately get it done if you do not have your PAN and Aadhaar. This will enable you to avoid a penalty of Rs. 500 payable up to 30th June 2022 and Rs. 1000 for the period after 30th June 2022.
How to check if My Aadhaar and PAN are linked?
Those who find it challenging to link PAN and Aadhaar online can also do it offline through the PAN services centres – NSDL and UTIISL. UTIISL is Unit Trust of India Infrastructure Technology Services Limited, which acts as a service provider for the Central Bureau of Direct Taxes.
Why should you link your PAN and Aadhaar numbers? How to check the Aadhaar link with PAN?
The government of India introduced a bill under Section 139 AA in the income tax act in the budget of 2017. According to it, you must mandatorily quote your Aadhaar number for the following purposes:
- When you apply for a new PAN.
- When you are filing ITR.
- As per section 139AA, after the expiry of the deadline of 30th June 2022, the PAN allotted to you would be deemed to be invalid. The Aadhaar and PAN card link can be instituted after the deadline date after the payment of a penalty.
Follow the steps below to check your PAN and Aadhaar Link status
- Login to www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in by entering your PAN (User ID) and your password.
- Click on the button ‘Profile Setting.’ This can be done by clicking the arrow next to your name. The profile will show your Aadhaar number partially as linked.
- Naturally, linking Aadhaar with PAN does not apply to an individual who does not possess an Aadhaar number / Enrollment ID. The exception categories are as follows:-
· Residing in the States of Assam, Jammu and Kashmir, and Meghalaya.
· A Non-Resident as per Income Tax Act 1961.
· Of the age of eighty years or more.
The above exemptions are as per the provisions of the Indian Income Tax Act.
Did you know?
Those who file IT returns using an Aadhaar card will be allocated a new PAN number by the IT authorities. You can also file your income tax returns without a PAN card if the two cards are linked.
Penalties and levies for not successfully linking Aadhaar and PAN cards. How to check PAN Aadhaar Link?
Failing to complete PAN – Aadhaar Link by the mandated date of 30th June 2022 may result in the following consequences:
- The PAN number becomes inoperative.
- As PAN becomes inoperative, you will not be able to file IT returns.
- Pending returns will not be processed.
- In case of defective returns, pending proceedings cannot be completed.
- As an income tax assessee, you will face difficulties at banks and other financial and investment portals as PAN is an important KYC criterion in all financial transactions.
- You will be liable for not furnishing, quoting, or intimating the Aadhaar- PAN link, and as such, you will be liable for fees/ penalties under the provisions of the law.
Word to remember
- 30th June 2022 is the date to remember regarding the Aadhaar PAN card Link. After this date, the PAN card becomes inoperative. Hurry, get your Aadhaar card- PAN card link completed today to avoid all your financial activities getting frozen.
Advantages of Aadhaar – PAN link
- By linking the Aadhaar card and PAN card, E-KYC and online formalities can be completed quickly.
- Tax refunds are processed sooner, and financial transactions are streamlined.
Disadvantages of Aadhaar – PAN link. How to check Aadhaar-PAN Link status
- All your transactions will be monitored and scrutinised by the Government of India. All aspects of your income will be exposed.
30th June 2022 is the last date for the Aadhaar PAN card linking process.
Other than verifying that all the personal and demographic details entered in the Aadhaar card and PAN card are correct, there are no further formalities to be completed.
Certain categories of individuals, including residents of Assam, Meghalaya, and Jammu and Kashmir, Non-resident Indians, and people who are not Indian citizens, are exempted from linking their Aadhaar card with the PAN card.
Financial transactions will be blocked if your Aadhaar card and PAN card are not linked before the mandated date.
In such a case, the correct details have to be updated in both the Aadhaar card and PAN card before linking.