If you own a vehicle or are intending to buy one, you would for sure know that it is mandatory to have a third-party liability insurance cover. Now, people often recommend that you must buy comprehensive car insurance as taking care of repairs and other expenses can be a daunting task. Now, although comprehensive car insurance is important, it still does not cover a few things, and there are add-on covers to provide this coverage. One such cover that one must consider and add to their car insurance policy is the engine protection cover. Let us read on to know what engine protection cover means and everything else you need to know about it.
What is Engine Protection Cover?
A car engine is the main part of the car which enables it to work. The main engine, along with the other parts like piston, crankshaft, cylinder, pins, gearbox, etc., ensure the smooth working of the car, and any damage to these is not covered in the comprehensive car insurance policy. The damage to these is considered to be consequential damage or loss, which means this does not happen due to an accident.
This is what makes the engine and gearbox protection cover very important. This is an add-on cover which has to be taken along with the comprehensive car insurance cover, and it covers all parts of the gearbox and the engine in case of an accident. The gearbox gives the power to the engine, and thus, these two are equally important and covered under this cover.
In case of any damage, repair and replacement of these critical parts can cost a hefty amount, and this is what is covered under the engine protection cover in car insurance.
Coverage of The Engine Protection Cover
Before we talk about what the engine and gearbox cover in car insurance include, we must talk about the causes which are covered due to which the damage in the engine takes place.
If the damage is due to any of the following, the damage and cost of repair will be covered in the engine protection in car insurance:
- Ingression of water
- Gearbox damage
- Lubricant oil leakage
- If the lubricant leaks due to an accident and this cause any damage to the engine or the gearbox
- Undercarriage damage
The engine protection cover covers the repair and replacement cost of the following components:
- Replacement and repair of all gearbox parts
- Replacement and repair of all engine parts
- The cost incurred to replenish any consumable item like coolant, lubricant oil, nuts and bolts while repairing the gearbox and engine
- Cost of labour that is spent on replacing and repairing the parts of the engine or the gearbox
- Expenses of hydrostatic lock
Exclusions of the Engine Protection Cover in Car Insurance
The following damages are excluded and not covered in the engine protection in car insurance:
- In case of an accident, apart from the gearbox and engine damage, if there are any other consequential losses, they will not be covered in the policy
- If there are any damages that are covered in the warranty given by the manufacturer, these will not be covered under the policy
- If there is any regular wear and tear of the gearbox and engine, which is not a result of any calamity or accident, these will not be covered in the engine and gearbox protection cover
- Water ingression has to be proved for a claim to get approved under the cover
How to Buy the Engine Protection Cover?
The following steps are to be followed to buy the cover when you are buying a new policy or renewing an existing one:
- Visit the website or app of the company or go to their nearest office
- If going to the office, they will guide you and get the needful done
- If online, select the option to buy or renew a car insurance policy
- There will be an option to choose to add on covers
- Choose engine protection cover
- Pay the premium as calculated and get the policy
Benefits of Engine Protection Cover for your Car
Engine protection cover is one of the most significant add-ons covers in your car insurance policy. Let’s look at some benefits of engine protection cover:
- Financial Assistance
In case your car’s engine gets damaged, your basic motor insurance policy will be of no help. However, if you get an engine protection add-on cover, the cost of repairing the damage to your car’s engine or other parts will be taken care of by your insurer.
2. Pays for the Most Expensive Part
As we all know, the engine is one of the most expensive parts of a car. Hence, repairing or replacing the engine or any of its parts can cost you a fortune. But if you have an engine protection cover, you will not have to worry about how much you will have to pay.
3. Enhance the Lifespan of Your Car
A car cannot function without an engine; therefore, it is important to enhance its longevity. An engine protection cover shall make sure that your engine gets repaired timely so that it does not hamper the functioning of your car.
4. Perfect for People Residing in Flood-Prone Areas
Car owners residing in areas that are prone to waterlogging or flooding often find their car engines damaged. The engine protection cover ensures that the cost of repairing your car’s engine damaged due to waterlogging is covered.
Things to Keep in Mind While Buying Engine Protection Cover
- When the car is submerged in water, never try to force start your engine. By design, an engine shuts down completely when in water to ensure that no water gets in. When you forcibly try to start the engine, the chances are there that water will get in. This will be considered a deliberate move, and the claim will be rejected.
- This add-on cover is not applicable to cars older than 5 years.
- There is a limited validity in this cover which means only a certain number of claims like 1 or 2 are allowed in one policy year.
- Engine repair is not covered by comprehensive car insurance.
- The engine protection cover is to a car what a critical illness plan is to health insurance.
- It covers the costs of engine repair.
- This is a must-have cover for people living in areas where the chances of flooding are high.
Buying an add-on cover is recommended based on the insured’s needs and is the ability to pay the extra premium. Before buying any add-on, keep in mind factors like city, driving distance makes and type of car, problems faced like floods and waterlogging etc. Once these are done, you will know which covers are needed. And one of the most important add-on covers is the engine protection cover which covers the main part of the car and any repair or replacement cost.
So, if you want to protect the heart of your car and your engine and ensure any damage to it does not cause a dent in your pocket, take the engine and gearbox protection cover.
Any car owner who has a comprehensive car insurance policy can pay an extra premium and buy the cover
The cover, as stated above, can be bought with a comprehensive car insurance policy. The cover can be bought when a new policy is being taken or at the time of renewal of the car insurance policy.
No, as explained above, any regular wear and tear and other exclusions are there in the policy. Damages like ingression of water, fault in the gearbox, leakage of the lubricant, etc., are all covered in the cover.
It is not compulsory to buy any add-on cover. Any add-on cover is optional for a car insurance policyholder. These are optional, and one can buy as per the needs. For example, a person who stays in an area where floods are common and the chances of water ingression causing damage are high should buy engine protection in car insurance cover. Again, this is not mandatory and is just a recommendation.