Although the Provident Fund scheme is for the benefit of the employees, it is actually the employers who have to submit the monthly contribution on behalf of their employees. For this, employers need to register their establishments with the Employer’s Provident Fund Organisation. Employers can register online without having to visit the EPFO office.
EPFO Employer Registration Process
The following is the process to register one’s establishment as an EPFO member:
- Go to the EPFO official website.
- Click on “Establishment Registration” tab on the homepage.
- You’ll be redirected to the Ministry or Labour & Employment website – Shram Suvidha.
- Click on “Sign Up” and create your account.
- Now, log in using the details you just generated.
- Select the “Registration under EPF-ESIC” option under the “Registration” tab.
- Click on “Employees’ Provident Fund and Miscellaneous Provision Act, 1952”.
- Enter the establishment details in the online form thus opened.
- Upload Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) to complete the EPFO employer registration.
Documents Required for EPFO Employer/Establishment Registration
The following is the list of documents needed to register one’s establishment with EPFO:
- PAN Card (of Director/Proprietor/Partner)
- Address Proof (water bill or electricity bill of the regd. office – not older than 2 months)
- Establishment certificate or any other valid license issued by the government
- DSC (Digital Signature Certificate)
- Bank Statement of the establishment (or cancelled cheque)
- Lease Agreement (or Rent Agreement)
Who needs to register for EPFO?
Any establishment having a total strength of 20 or more employees is mandatorily required by the law of land to deduct EPF contribution. For this, registration of their establishment with the EPFO is required.
However, some companies like TCS, Wipro and Nestle India Ltd. manage PF in-house and thus, are not registered as EPFO members.
As for the employees, they do not need to register with EPFO separately. Any employer with the basic salary of Rs. 15,000 or less is compulsorily required to make regular PF contributions. This amount is deducted from the employee’s salary every month by their employer and submitted to the respective PF account linked with the employee’s UAN.
EPFO Digital Signature Registration Process
Follow the steps given below to register for EPFO Digital Signature Certificate for employers:
- Go to the EPFO member portal.
- Log in with Username and Password as used for EPFO ECR portal for challan submission.
- Click on the “Digital Certificate” tab and select the “Register Certificate” option.
- An online form will appear which needs to be filled with the name of authorized signatory, designation and mobile number. Then, hit the “Next” button.
- Select the preferred option (.PFX file or USB token signing in) as the type of DSC.
- Click on “Run” in the pop-up that will appear on your screen.
- Click on “Select this certificate”.
- Enter the PIN and click on “OK”.
- Now, hit the “Submit” button to upload your digital signature certificate.
|Read more about EPF:|
|EPF Balance Check||EPF Correction Form||EPF Passbook|
|EPF Calculator||EPF Interest Rate||EPF Pension|
|EPF Contribution||EPF Online Claim||EPF Premature Withdrawal|
|Read more about UAN:|
|Read more about EPFO:|
|EPFO E-Sewa||EPFO Online Payment||EPFO KYC Online Update|
|EPFO Establishment||EPFO Member Portal||EPFO Pension Portal|
|Read more about EPF Forms:|
|EPF Form 10C||EPF Form 19||EPF Withdrawal Form 31|
EPFO Employer Registration Online: FAQs
Online EPFO registration for the employers/establishments having 20 or more employees is mandatory. This is because online challan generation for PF contribution is compulsory before disbursing employee salaries each month.
A Digital Signature Certificate is equivalent to the physical signature and is used for submitting online challan and more on the EPFO website by the employer.
Currently there are 1,552 establishments that are exempt from registering as a member with the Employee’s Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO). These companies have their own PF trusts to manage provident fund contributions. The list includes companies like TCS, Nestle India Ltd., Steel Authority of India, American Express India Pvt. Ltd. and HDFC Ltd. to name a few.
Submit the duly-filled FORM 5A to update existing establishment/owner details with the EPFO.
Yes. Each establishment is treated as a separate entity and thus the registration also must be done separately, even if the owner is the same.
Cash value of any food concession, Dearness Allowance (DA), House Rent Allowance (HRA), Overtime Allowance and presents given by the employer, if any, do not impact PF contribution by the employer and employee, both.