If you have recently changed your employer, it is important that you get your EPF account transferred under your current employer. While most of the companies do this on their own at the time of joining, sometimes you may have to step in and transfer your EPF account yourself. It’s a fairly simple process and can be done online within minutes.
Let’s see how.
Transfer PF Account Online: Prerequisites
Before transferring your old PF account to a new account, make sure the following requirements are fulfilled:
- Your UAN must be active (learn how to activate UAN)
- Your UAN is linked with Aadhaar (learn how to link UAN with Aadhaar)
- Mobile number linked to UAN is active
- PAN and other important details like your bank account number are updated
That said, the following two conditions must also be checked:
- Previous and present EPF member IDs must be available in EPFO records
- Employer’s digital signatures must be registered for online transfer request
Once these points are ticked, proceed with the steps given below to transfer your previous company’s EPF account to your new and existing company.
Steps to Transfer EPF Account Online
Follow the steps given in this section to transfer EPF online:
Step 1: Log into EPFO Member Portal e-SEWA using your UAN and Password.
Step 2: Click on “Online Services” from the menu-bar and select “One Member-One EPF Account (Transfer Request)”. (Refer the image above)
Step 3: Verify your details in the “Personal Information” section and PF account number in the “Details of Present Account into which transfer will be affected” for the present employment.
Step 4: Click on “Get Details” to fetch the PF account details of the previous employer.
Step 5: For the form attestation, select either “Previous Employer” or “Present Employer”, whichever is applicable in your case.
Step 6: Next step entails getting OTP for authentication. Click on “Get OTP”. OTP will be sent to your UAN-linked mobile number. Enter the same and hit the “Submit” button.
Upon this, you will receive a notification on your device’s screen as well as on your registered mobile number regarding the application for EPF account transfer.
How to Check EPF Claim Status?
After you’ve submitted the request to transfer your PF account, it is important to check the status of this request on the EPFO unified member portal online. This ensures that your request has been accepted and in in process or under-consideration.
Step 1: Login to EPFO member portal.
Step 2: As you log in, look for “Online Services” and then hit the “Track Claim Status” option. It would look like this:
Step 3: You will be able to see the status of your EPF transfer request under the “Transfer Claim Status” now. If it’s accepted, it will show “Accepted by filed office”.
Why Transfer EPF Account?
If you’re thinking as to why should I go through all these steps and simply keep my old EPF account after changing my company, please consider these:
- If your EPF account is of less than 5 years old, it will attract income tax
- Upon not transferring EPF account and creating a new one, the previous account (if less than 5 years old) as well as the new EPF account – both will attract tax
- Under EPF, interest is compounded every year – if you create a new account without transferring the previous account’s funds, you will lose on compounding benefits
|Read more about EPF:|
|EPF Balance Check||EPF Correction Form||EPF Passbook|
|EPF Calculator||EPF Interest Rate||EPF Pension|
|EPF Contribution||EPF Online Claim||EPF Premature Withdrawal|
|Read more about UAN:|
|Read more about EPFO:|
|EPFO E-Sewa||EPFO Online Payment||EPFO KYC Online Update|
|EPFO Establishment||EPFO Member Portal||EPFO Registration Process|
|Read more about EPF Forms:|
|EPF Form 10C||EPF Form 19||EPF Withdrawal Form 31|
Transfer EPF Online – FAQs
It can be due to any of these reasons:
· If your employer has not yet submitted the EPF contribution return (ECR) in which your member ID is mentioned
· If ECR has been submitted but member ID hasn’t been updated in the records yet (which takes place every week and not daily).
No. Your EPFO UAN must remain the same throughout your service years, regardless of how many times you change your employers. The only thing you need to do is make sure that your EPF account is transferred to your current employer account.
In such cases, you must wait for 2 months from the date of leaving the job and then fill and submit Form 19 online. IF online is not an option for you, submit EPFO Composite Form.
Yes. You are not supposed to have two UANs. IF your employer has created another UAN despite your current one, either reach out to your employer or write to email@example.com stating both UANs. Also provide your mobile number for the same.