Are you confused about your EPFO UAN? Do you know your UAN? Is your UAN active?
These are some of the very important questions for you if your employer is deducting EPF contribution from your salary. Knowing your UAN is necessary if you want to check your EPF balance or transfer/withdraw EPF funds. Let’s know all about UAN – Universal Account Number.
What is UAN?
UAN is a 12-digit unique number given to each employee working in the organised sector in India and is enrolled in the Employee’s Provident Fund scheme. The full form of UAN is Universal Account Number. UAN is given by the EPFO and authenticated by the Ministry of Labour and Employment. Every member of EPF has only one UAN throughout their service period.
Importance of UAN
UAN is required for various EPF-related processes like:
- For logging into EPFO member portal
- For checking EPF Passbook online, via UMANG app, call or SMS
- To transfer funds from an old PF account to current account (on changing jobs)
- To withdraw funds from EPF or pension fund
- When submitting any Claim Form, UAN has to be quoted
How to Get UAN?
As soon as you become a member of the EPF scheme, EPFO generates your UAN. However, if you do not know your UAN, it might pose a whole lot of difficulties for you. But, it is a fairly simple process on how to find your UAN number. All you have to do is go to the EPFO website and follow some simple steps.
As discussed above, every EPF member has a UAN or the Universal Account Number. That said, your UAN must be active for you to use the online EPFO services. Be it using the EPFO official website or the UMANG mobile app, for both these online options, UAN activation is a must.
To log into your EPF account, you need to enter a combination of your active UAN and password. Steps for UAN login are:
Step 1: Go to the EPFO Unified Portal – “MEMBER e-SEWA”.
Step 2: Enter your active UAN.
Step 3: Provide your password.
Step 4: Enter the Captcha shown on your device screen.
Step 5: Hit the “Sign In” button to complete the UAN login process.
UAN: Important Points
Below are some of the important points related to UAN:
- Members who have seeded their UAN with authentic Aadhaar and bank details can submit PF withdrawal/settlement/transfer requests online
- One UAN can be registered for one mobile number
- If you have more than 1 UAN registered with your mobile number, immediately bring this to your employer’s notice and also write to EPFO about the same to get it rectified
- One UAN can have multiple EPF accounts and each account has a different Member ID – all linked to same UAN
- UAN is needed to check one’s EPF balance and to download EPF passbook
|Read more about EPF:|
|EPF Balance Check||EPF Correction Form||EPF Passbook|
|EPF Calculator||EPF Interest Rate||EPF Pension|
|EPF Contribution||EPF Online Claim||EPF Premature Withdrawal|
|Read more about UAN:|
|Link Aadhaar with UAN||UAN Activation|
|Read more about EPFO:|
|EPFO E-Sewa||EPFO Online Payment||EPFO KYC Online Update|
|EPFO Establishment||EPFO Member Portal||EPFO Registration Process|
|Read more about EPF Forms:|
|EPF Form 10C||EPF Form 19||EPF Withdrawal Form 31|
If you forgot your UAN number, go to the EPFO unified portal. Find “Know your UAN” option under the “Important Links” section. This way, you can get your UAN number anytime.
Generally UAN generation is initiated by your employer and alloted by EPFO. This is further authenticated by the Ministry of Labour and Employment.
That said, if your mobile number is linked with Aadhaar, you can now initiate the UAN generation process without employer by using the EPFO e-Sewa Portal.
Yes, as per the EPFO mandate on 1st June 2021, it is compulsory to link your UAN with your Aadhaar.
EPF accounts with UANs not linked with Aadhaar will not be credited with EPF contributions.
If you have any queries related to your UAN, you can call the EPFO helpline number – 1800118005.