Do you have a business? Are you registered under GST? Do you have a GST number, also known as GSTIN? If you’re not registered under GST yet, after more than 5 years of GST implementation, do it now. GST registration is a fairly simple task which can easily be done from anywhere.
Here, we will talk about the documents required for GST registration. Let’s find out.
Primary List of Documents Required for GST Registration
The following is a list of the documents required for GST registration:
- PAN of the application
- PAN card of the proprietor, if the applicant has a proprietorship business
- PAN card of the company and directors of the company, in case the applicant is a company
- PAN card of all the partners, if it is a partnership firm and likewise.
- Aadhaar Card
- Proof of Business Registration or Incorporation Certificate
- Shop/establishment registration, trade license, partnership registration certificate, etc.
- Identity and Address proof of Promoters/Director with Photographs
- Passport, driving license, voter’s ID card or Aadhaar Card
Details in ID proof and Address proof must match with the details in the PAN Card(s), else the GST registration application may get rejected
- Address proof of the place of business
- Property tax receipt, copy of Municipal Khata, Electricity Bill copy, Ownership deed, Lease/Rent Agreement, etc.
- Bank Account statement/Cancelled cheque
- Scanned copy of a cancelled cheque or extract of bank statement (1st and last page) must be enclosed
- Digital Signature Certificate
- Letter of Authorization/Board Resolution for Authorized Signatory
Note: This is not an exhaustive list.
Helpful Read: How to Apply for GST Registration?
There might be some additions and omissions to this list of GST registration documents, based on the type of taxpayer (normal taxpayer, LLP, HUF, Society, etc.)
Documents Required for GST Registration for Partnership Firm
The documents required for GST registration for a partnership firm are:
- PAN Card of all the partners
- Photograph of all the partners and authorized signatories (in jpeg format)
- Address proof of partners
- Copy of partnership deed
- Aadhaar card of authorized signatory
- Proof of appointment of authorized signatory
- Address proof of principal place of business
- Bank account details
Did You Know
due to a discrepancy in documents, your GST registration application can be rejected. However, you will be given a 7-day notice wherein you can submit clarification following which the rejection can be stalled.
Also Check: GST Rates
Documents Required for GST Registration for Company
The documents required for GST registration for companies are:
- PAN Card of the company
- Memorandum of association
- Certification of incorporation given by Ministry of Corporate affairs
- PAN card and Aadhar card copy of authorized signatory (should be an Indian, even in case of a foreign company)
- PAN card and address proof of all directors of the company
- Photograph of all the directors and authorized signatories of the company (in jpeg format)
- Any proof of appointment of authorized signatory (in pdf or jpeg format)
- Address proof of principal place of work
- Bank account details
Words to Remember
- Casual Taxable Person – occasionally undertake transactions involving supply of goods or services but have no fixed place of business.
- Reverse Charge Mechanism – where the buyer pays GST instead of the supplier, typically because the supplier is not registered.
Documents Required for GST Registration: FAQs
Taxpayers should be aware that there are no registration fees for the GST. As a result, there is no fee associated with GST registration.
PAN, Adhaar Card, Proof of Business Registration, Place of Business, Address Proof of the business, etc. are some of the important documents required for GST registration. Without furnishing these documents, your GST registration application will not be processed.
When you set up your current account with any bank, the GSTIN is not required. However, you do need a working current account to register under the GST regime. As a result, there is no GST due on the establishment or operation of a current bank account for the business owner.
GST registration documents for a proprietor are: PAN, Aadhaar, Bank Account Statement and/or Cancelled Cheque, Registered Office Proof (Rent Agreement and NOC from landlord, in case of rented property AND electricity bill/ sale deed in case of an owned property.
GST registration can only be done online. For this, you can go to the GST Portal and click “Services” > “Registration” > “New Registration”.
Registration under GST is absolutely free of cost and thus, there is no fee for getting a GST Number. Yo will be allotted a GST Number, also known as GSTIN, as your GST registration application gets processed successfully.
With the new paperless online GST registration process, you will not have to submit any hard copies of the documents needed for GST registration.
A PAN Card is an integral document for every citizen of the country. Please apply for a PAN Card before applying for GST Registration.
It is mandatory for certain categories of companies to have a Digital Signature Certificate (DSC), which can be used to sign the documents. For others, the Aadhaar E-sign facility can be used to sign the GST registration documents.