Are you having troubles registering on the Income Tax e-Filing portal because of you don’t have ePAN? If that’s the case, this article was written for you. An ePAN, also known as ‘instant PAN card’ is the electronic or digital form of your physical PAN card with the same legal validity.
Let’s learn how to about instant PAN card download and the role of Aadhaar in getting an ePAN or instant PAN card.
Who Can Get Instant PAN Card?
In order to use the instant PAN card or ePAN, these are the requirements:
- You must be an Indian citizen
- You must be an individual with no previous PAN allotment
- You must have an Aadhaar and your mobile number must be linked with it
- You mustn’t be a minor when applying for instant PAN card
- You mustn’t be a Representative Assessee as per Section 160 of Income Tax Act
Instant PAN Card Apply: Step-by-Step Guide
Here are the steps to apply for an instant PAN card or ePAN online:
- Visit the Income Tax Department’s e-filing portal (https://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/home)
- Click on the “Instant PAN through Aadhaar” option under the “Quick Links” section.
- Enter your Aadhaar number and the Captcha code, and click on the “Generate Aadhaar OTP” button.
- You will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number linked to Aadhaar. Enter the OTP and click on the “Validate Aadhaar OTP and Submit PAN Request” button.
- Your PAN card details will be generated, and you can download a PDF copy of your PAN card.
There is no charge for obtaining an instant PAN card online. It is free of cost.
Documents Required for Instant e PAN Card Apply
The whole idea of an ePAN or Instant PAN card is to make the process easier and faster with limited documentation. In sync with the plan, Income Tax Department of India has kept the document list really small. You only need your valid Aadhaar Card with updated KYC details and your active mobile number linked to this Aadhaar. That’s it.
Read more about topics related to PAN:
Instant PAN Card : FAQs
An e PAN card is an instant PAN card which is has the same validity and uses as that of a physical PAN card.
There are no charges for applying and/or downloading instant PAN card. It is totally devoid of any charges or costs.
No. Instant PAN card can only be applied for if you do NOT have a physical PAN card yet.
No. Instant PAN or ePAN can only be applied if you have not been allotted with a PAN before. It is not a replacement of your existing PAN card.
Yes, for instant PAN card apply, having a valid Aadhaar with your mobile number linked to it is mandatory. In fact, it is the only documentation needed.