A PAN card is an important document for taxpayers in India. And why just taxpayers, PAN is needed for a number of things, like opening a bank account, investing in mutual funds, applying for a personal loan and more. But such pivotal role to play, it only makes sense to allow online mode to take over the PAN Card Application process.
In this blog, we will talk about PAN card online apply via NSDL and UTIITSL, both. Let’s begin.
How to Apply PAN Card Online?
You can apply for a PAN (Permanent Account Number) card online through the NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) or UTIITSL (UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited) websites. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to apply for a PAN card online:
Step 1: Visit the NSDL or UTIITSL website, and select the option “Apply for new PAN card.”
Step 2: Select the appropriate application form based on your status (Individual, Company, Firm, etc.)
Step 3: Fill in the required details such as name, date of birth, gender, address, and contact information.
Step 4: Upload the necessary documents such as proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of date of birth.
Step 5: Pay the application fee online using a debit card, credit card, or net banking.
Step 6: Submit the application form and take note of the acknowledgment number.
Step 7: Download and print the acknowledgment form.
Once your application is processed and approved, your PAN card will be dispatched to your address within a few weeks.
It is important to note that you can also track the status of your PAN card application online through the NSDL or UTIITSL website using the acknowledgment number.
For detailed step-by-step guide on how to apply PAN card online using the NSDL (which is now rebranded as Protean) website, please go to our NSDL PAN Card Status post.
About NSDL and its role in PAN
NSDL (National Securities Depository Limited) is one of the two authorized entities in India that is responsible for issuing PAN (Permanent Account Number) cards. NSDL is a central depository of securities and maintains the database of all PAN cardholders in India.
NSDL’s role in PAN includes the following:
- Issuing PAN: NSDL is responsible for issuing PAN to individuals, companies, and other entities in India. It processes PAN card applications and assigns a unique PAN number to each applicant.
- Maintaining PAN database: NSDL maintains the database of all PAN cardholders in India. It ensures that the PAN data is accurate, up-to-date, and easily accessible to authorized agencies.
- Verifying PAN data: NSDL provides PAN verification services to verify the authenticity of PAN data. It enables authorized agencies to verify the PAN data of individuals or entities to ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations.
- Updating PAN data: NSDL allows PAN cardholders to update their PAN data such as address, contact information, and other personal details. It ensures that the PAN data is accurate and up-to-date, and helps in maintaining accurate records of financial transactions.
Overall, NSDL plays a vital role in issuing and maintaining PAN in India. It ensures that the PAN data is accurate, up-to-date, and easily accessible to authorized agencies, helping in tracking financial activities of taxpayers and ensuring compliance with tax laws and regulations.
Duplicate PAN Card Apply Online
If you have lost or misplaced your PAN (Permanent Account Number) card, you can apply for a duplicate PAN card. This reprint of PAN Card takes no more than a few minutes if you all the details required as well the documents to be enclosed ready.
Apply for a duplicate PAN card offline
- Download the PAN application form from the NSDL or UTIITSL website or get it from the office itself
- Fill in the required details such as name, date of birth, and contact information
- Attach the necessary documents such as proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of date of birth
- Submit the application form along with the necessary documents to the nearest NSDL or UTIITSL office
- Pay the application fee in cash or through a demand draft
Once your application is processed and approved, your duplicate PAN card will be dispatched to your address within a few weeks.
It is important to note that you should not apply for a new PAN card if you have lost or misplaced your PAN card. Instead, you should apply for a duplicate PAN to avoid any duplication or fraud issues.
Why should I apply for PAN Card?
A PAN has a wide range of uses in various financial transactions and helps in identifying taxpayers and tracking their financial activities. Here are some of the key benefits/uses of having a PAN card:
- Filing Income Tax Returns: PAN is mandatory for filing income tax returns in India. Every taxpayer is required to quote their PAN while filing their income tax returns.
- Opening a bank account: PAN is required for opening a bank account in India. It serves as a proof of identity and helps in maintaining accurate records of financial transactions.
- Investing in securities: PAN is mandatory for investing in securities such as stocks, bonds, and mutual funds. It helps in tracking the investment activities of the taxpayer and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Buying and selling property: PAN is required for buying and selling property in India. It helps in identifying the taxpayer and tracking the financial transaction associated with the property.
- Applying for loans: PAN is required for applying for loans such as home loans, personal loans, and car loans. It serves as a proof of identity and helps in assessing the creditworthiness of the borrower.
- Applying for credit cards: PAN is required for applying for credit cards in India. It helps in tracking the credit activities of the cardholder and maintaining accurate records of financial transactions.
Overall, PAN serves as a universal identification key for all financial transactions and helps in tracking the financial activities of the taxpayer. It is an essential document for taxpayers in India and is required in various financial transactions to ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations.
Read more about topics related to PAN:
PAN Card Apply Online: FAQs
You can apply for a PAN card online by visiting the official website of NSDL or UTIITSL and filling out the application form, uploading the required documents, and paying the fees.
You will need to submit proof of identity, proof of address, and proof of date of birth along with your PAN card application. You can find a list of accepted documents on the official websites of NSDL or UTIITSL.
You can pay the fees for your online PAN card application using a credit card, debit card, net banking, or by using a demand draft or cheque.
PAN card after online application takes around 15-20 working days to be delivered.