To make the process of PAN Card apply convenient, the Indian Government has come up with the option to apply for a PAN card online. There are two websites that are authorized for this process of PAN card application, viz. Protean (formerly known as NSDL eGov) and UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited (UTIITSL).
Here, we have given the steps to apply PAN Card online.
How to Apply PAN Card Online?
For PAN card online apply process, adhere to the steps given below:
- Visit the official website of the National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL) or the UTI Infrastructure Technology and Services Limited (UTIITSL). These are the two agencies authorized by the Government of India to process PAN card applications.
- On the homepage of the website, click on the “Apply for PAN” option.
- Fill in the application form with your personal details, such as your name, date of birth, address, and contact information. You will also need to provide details of any existing PAN card if you have one.
- Upload the required documents, such as a copy of your identity proof (such as Aadhaar card, driving license, or passport), address proof (e.g. bank statement or utility bill), and a recent passport-sized photograph.
- Pay the application fee, which is currently Rs. 93 (exclusive of GST) for Indian communication address and Rs. 864 (exclusive of GST) for foreign communication.
- After submitting the application and payment, you will receive an acknowledgement receipt with a 15-digit unique acknowledgment number. This number can be used to track the PAN Card status of your application.
- Your application will be processed, and once it is approved, your PAN card will be sent to the address you provided in the application.
It is important to note that while applying for a PAN card online, you must ensure that all the details you provide are accurate and match the information on your supporting documents. Any discrepancies could result in your PAN Card application being rejected.
How to Apply PAN Card via NSDL?
Before digging deep into the e PAN card application process, please note that the NSDL eGOV website has been changed to Protean. The steps given further are with respect to Protean.
Follow the steps given below to know how to apply PAN Card online through NSDL (Protean):
- Go to Protean (which is the new version of NSDL eGov website)
- Click on ‘Services’ and then hit the ‘PAN’ link as shown below:
- Scroll down to find the section demonstrated below and click on ‘Apply’
- Enter the details asked in the online PAN apply form (name, DOB, Email ID and mobile number)
- Enter Captcha and hit the ‘Submit’ button
- Upload the required documents, such as a copy of your identity proof (such as Aadhaar card, driving license, or passport), address proof (such as a bank statement or utility bill), and a recent passport-size photograph
- Review your application and make corrections, if required
- Pay the application fee after which you’ll get your PAN application acknowledgement number
Read more about topics related to PAN:
PAN Card Apply: FAQs
Application for fresh allotment of PAN can be done online either through the portal of Protean (formerly NSDL eGov) ( https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pan/index.html) or portal of UTITSL (https://www.pan.utiitsl.com/PAN/).
Yes, you can choose either UTIITSL or Protean (formerly known as NSDL eGov) to apply PAN Card online.
No. Fees for applying PAN card currently is Rs. 93 (exclusive of GST) for Indian communication address and Rs. 864 (exclusive of GST) for foreign communication address.
No, as per the Income Tax Department of India, there is no provision for refund of PAN card application fee.
No. As per the Income Tax Laws India, it is illegal to maintain 2 PAN cards.
You can be charged with a penalty of Rs 10,000 for possessing more than 1 PAN Card, as per the Section 272B of the Income Tax Act, 1961.