A few decades ago, say in our parent’s generation, it was very difficult to retrieve one’s identity proof documents. If someone’s identity card was hampered, misplaced, or stolen, it meant standing in long lines and waiting for your turn.
However, with the onset of advanced technology and digitization, everything is available to us with a simple click. In this article, we will provide you with a quick guide on how to apply for a duplicate Aadhaar card in an easy and convenient way.
Understand the basic definition of duplicate Aadhaar card?
A step-by-step guide on how to apply for a duplicate Aadhaar card online?
A glimpse into the benefits and advantages of a duplicate Aadhaar card
What is a Duplicate Aadhaar Card?
Malti is a 35-year-old housewife. For the past 11 months, she was planning to visit her daughter, who was completing her master’s degree at New York University. In a couple of weeks, she had her visa appointment, for which she was busy assembling all her essential documents. In a hustle, she accidentally dropped her tea on her Aadhaar card and instantly slipped into a moment of panic.
That’s when her son walked in, calmed her down and told her how easy it is to avail a duplicate Aadhar card these days. When she further inquired about the process, he sat her down and walked her through the process one by one. First, he gave her a brief insight into what is a duplicate Aadhaar card.
In simple words, in case a person has misplaced or lost their Aadhaar card and needs a new copy instantly, they can opt for a duplicate Aadhaar card. Make use you UIDAI’s online or offline services and ensure that your mobile number is linked with your Aadhaar card.
After hearing this, Malti finally exhaled and released a sigh of relief. She wondered that despite being an aware citizen, there was so much she didn’t know about government services. Staying true to the ethics of her generation, she first thought of applying for her duplicate Aadhaar card offline. How is that done?
One of the best features of applying for a duplicate Aadhaar card is that it can be availed through both online and offline platforms. Here are the steps of getting duplicate Aadhaar card offline:
- Take some time out for research and visit your nearest Aadhaar enrolment centre.
- Ask for an Aadhaar correction form and carefully fill it with your personal details.
- Once you are done, double-check everything and review it carefully. Now, submit your correction form and place a request with the Aadhaar Executive or the Aadhaar registrar.
- Provide them with your Aadhaar number to issue a duplicate Aadhaar card.
- On the other hand, if you don’t know your Aadhaar number, the authorities will probably use biometrics for identity verification.
- Once all steps are completed, your request will be processed. After this, you will receive your new or duplicate Aadhaar card at your home address.
“But what about the payment? Is it free of cost?” asked Malti. Her son assured her that the entire process was done in Rs. 50, which includes GST and speed post charges. In addition, the payment can be made via UPI, debit card, credit card, and net banking.
Did You Know
In one of its issues released on 28th Apri’2017, an E-Aadhaar card holds the same validity as a printed or downloaded Aadhaar card. Also, a simple black and white printout also accounts for valid ID proof.
How to Apply for Duplicate Aadhaar card Online?
In order to instantly resolve the issue at hand, Malti instructed her son to drive her to the nearest enrolment office at the same minute. He giggled and calmed her down. “Everything is available online nowadays, mom” he chuckled at her innocence.
He pulled out his smartphone and opened UIDAI’s website. Slowly and with patience, he gave her mom a short tour of how she can also get her duplicate Aadhaar card online:
- First and foremost, visit the official UIDAI website.
- Next, choose either ‘Enrolment No.’ or ‘Aadhaar no.’ option.
- Carefully put in your basic details like name, mobile number, residential address, and more.
- Fill in the security code that’s flashing on your screen.
- Now, click on the ‘Send OTP’ option.
- Within a few seconds, you will receive an OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and click on ‘Log In’.
- Once everything is done, your Aadhaar card number will be sent to your registered email ID or mobile number.
- Ensure you receive a confirmation on your screen.
What are the benefits of Applying for a Duplicate Aadhaar Card Offline?
After a brief discussion, Malti was persuaded by her son to opt for the online procedure. Once everything was done, she ringed her daughter to let her know that everything has fallen into place. Further, they began to speak about the importance of a duplicate Aadhaar card, in case the original copy is misplaced:
- Pensions: The unique 12-digit UID number is a crucial requirement for senior citizens to receive their pension amount without any problems.
- LPG subsidy: It is important to link bank accounts with Aadhaar numbers so they can receive the subsidized amount directly in their bank account.
- Mobile sim card: A few years ago, people were told to link their sim cards with UID. Therefore, to avail of a new sim card, it is imperative to have an Aadhaar card.
- Government schemes: Our government offers a diverse range of schemes and policies for the welfare of the people. In order to leverage them, it is a prerequisite to have an Aadhaar number. Additionally, students can also avail initiatives and scholarships like PMAY, MGNREGA, EPFO, and more.
- Bank Account: As mentioned above, the Aadhaar number serves as an address and identity proof. Hence, it can be counted as a multipurpose document, proving to be an essential requirement for opening a bank account.
- Words to Remember
UID Number: Enrolment Number (EN) or the Aadhaar Unique Identification Number (UIN) is a unique 28-digit number allotted to individuals when they register for their Aadhaar. It is a good idea to note down your UID number the moment you receive your Aadhaar card for future purposes.
Learn More About Duplicate Aadhaar Card Today
When Malti landed in the USA, she giggled about how petrified she was about losing her Aadhaar card. Since almost everything has shifted online, there is no need to worry about standing in tedious lines.
You can comfortably sit in your homes and avail government and private services. Now that you have a good grip on how to apply for a duplicate Aadhaar card, instead of panicking, you know what to do if someone loses their Aadhaar number. So, go and be someone’s hero today!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Most people have this one doubt. Yes, a duplicate Aadhaar card can serve as a substitute for your original Aadhaar card. Thus, both of them are equally valid for opening bank accounts, applying for a passport, government schemes, and more.
Fortunately, today, it is easy to retrieve your lost or misplaced identity proofs by following a simple procedure. If you have lost your Aadhaar card, you can apply for a duplicate Aadhaar card by visiting the official website of UIDAI. Additionally, people also have the option of visiting their nearest enrolment centre.
There are situations where people do not carry the same mobile number that’s linked with their Aadhaar card. In these situations, it is imperative to have your EID or UID ID. In addition, you would have to enter your basic information (name, PIN code, any other mobile number, etc.) on UIDAI’s website to obtain a copy of your duplicate Aadhaar card.
Usually, once a person has filled in all the details and applied for a duplicate Aadhaar card, it takes 15 working days to reach you. Ensure you have successfully placed your reprint request with full payment.
If someone has lost, hampered, or misplaced their original Aadhaar card, the government of India has a policy of availing a duplicate Aadhaar card. Since this can be used as a substitute for the original Aadhaar number, there is no difference between the both of them.
Read more about Smart Aadhaar Card.