e-PAN or electronic PAN is a digital version of the PAN card in physical form. The e-PAN card was introduced by the Income Tax Department to make the process of obtaining and verifying PAN cards faster and more efficient.
Let’s learn about e filing PAN card, how to apply for an e PAN card, features of e PAN card and more in this post.
How to Apply for an e PAN Card?
To apply for a PAN card only or an e PAN Card, you can choose either to do it via Protean (formerly known as NSDL eGov) or via UTIITSL. The steps for both the options are more or less the same.
Simply go to Protean TINPAN and find the PAN option to apply ePAN online.
If you choose to go through the UTIITSL website, go to our UTI PAN article to know the steps to apply for e PAN through UTIITSL.
For both the options, you will be asked to provide your personal details (name, gender, date of birth, address for communication, Aadhaar number, etc.) Also, charges for e PAN.
E PAN Card Apply: Charges
There are two options when you go for an e PAN Card application –
1. only e PAN
2. e PAN and physical PAN Card.
Charges for only e PAN application:
- Rs 72 (inclusive of applicable 18% GST)
Charges for e PAN and Physical PAN Card:
- For dispatch in India: Rs 107 (inclusive of 18% GST)
- For dispatch outside PAN Card: Rs 1017 (inclusive of 18% GST)
How to Track Status of e PAN Card?
To track the status of your e PAN Card, there are two ways to do so as explained below:
e PAN Card Status Track via NSDL (now Protean)
- Go to NDSL PAN application tracking page at https://tin.tin.nsdl.com/pantan/StatusTrack.html
- Select your Application Type as PAN (New/Change Request)
- Enter your Acknowledgement Number
- Type in the Captcha as shown on your device’s screen and hit the Submit button to check the status of your e PAN application
e PAN Card Status Track via UTIITSL
- Go to UTIITLS PAN Card application tracking page at https://www.trackpan.utiitsl.com/PANONLINE/#forward
- Enter either your application coupon number or the PAN number (if it was an application for a change in PAN)
- Enter your date of birth and Captcha
- Click the Submit button to know the status of your e PAN card via UTIITSL
e PAN Card Download
e PAN can be download using either the UTIITSL website or the Protean eGov (formerly known as NSDL eGov). Steps for both are mentioned below:
e PAN Card Download via UTIITLS
- Go to UTIITSL homepage
- Scroll down and click on ‘PAN Card Services’ under ‘Our Services’ section
- Click on ‘Download e PAN’ widget
- You’ll be redirected to online form for download of e PAN card
- Enter your PAN, birth details (MMYYYY), GSTIN (optional) and Captcha
- Click on Submit
You may call on 03340802999 for any PAN-related queries.
e PAN Card Download via NSDL (now Protean)
- Go to https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/requestAndDownloadEPAN.html
- Enter your PAN or Acknowledgment Number (whichever you have)
- If you choose PAN, provide your Aadhaar number as well; it won’t be required if you chose to download e PAN card with acknowledgement number
- Provide your birth date (required in both the cases) and finally click on Submit
Download e PAN Card: Charges
If you already have a PAN Card and now you want to download an e PAN Card as well, you will not be required to pay any charges. However, if you want to make changes/corrections to your existing PAN and then download e PAN, you’ll be needed to pay Rs 8.26 (inclusive of GST).
Also note that if you are applying for a new PAN Card in the electronic form, then the standard e PAN Card application charges will be applicable.
Benefits of an e PAN Card
Some of the advantages of an e-PAN Card are:
- Simple Application Process: The e-PAN application process is completely online, right from getting the form to paying the application fee. This makes it easy, fast, and convenient. You can apply for an e-PAN by submitting your Aadhaar card details and completing the authentication process.
- Paperless Verification: ePAN is on the lines of Digital India and thus does not require you to furnish any documents in physical format. Everything can be uploaded online, including your Aadhaar.
- Quick Access: In case you delete your ePAN file from your device, you can always download the same again from the same website (UTIITSL or NSDL) from which you got it in the first place. All you’ll need is to provide verification like your mobile number and Aadhaar number.
Overall, e-PAN offers a range of benefits such as convenience, speed, accuracy, and digitization.
Difference between Phyical PAN and e PAN
PAN or Permanent Account Number, is a unique 10-digit alpha-numeric code that is assigned by the Indian Income Tax Department to individuals, companies, and other entities. Basically PAN is allotted to those lawful entities that pay taxes in India. PAN is a physical plastic card which serves as an ID proof and is required for various financial activities like opening a bank account, applying for a loan and especially when filing income tax returns.
e-PAN, on the other hand, is an electronic version of the PAN card. It is like a soft copy of the PAN card. It contains the same information as a physical PAN card, including the individual’s name, date of birth, and PAN number.
Features of e PAN Card
Here are some key features of the e-PAN card:
- Validity: The e-PAN card is a valid proof of identification and can be used for various financial transactions, just like a physical PAN card.
- Digital format: The e-PAN card is like a soft-copy of your usual PAN card which is generated and used digitally. It is issued by UTITSL and NSDL eGov, just like physical PAN Card.
- Can’t be stolen: Since it is in digital format, you won’t lose it anywhere nor would it be stolen, unless there’s a technical threat.
Please note that it is mandatory to link your PAN with Aadhaar and the same rule applies for those who apply for an ePAN. Here’s how to link your PAN with Aadhaar online.
Read more about topics related to PAN:
e PAN Card: FAQs
e PAN is the electronic version of a physical PAN Card and is equally valid.
No. If you already have a PAN Card and you just need its digital version without any changes, you will not be charged for it.
You will be required to pay Rs 8.26 (inclusive of GST) if you want to download e PAN after making changes to your existing PAN Card.
You can either go to UTIITLS or Protean (formerly NSDL eGov) website to download e PAN.
Yes, you will be required to provide your valid Aadhaar and your mobile number (linked to Aadhaar).
Yes, if your latest PAN application was processed through Protean (formerly NSDL), you can get e PAN in PDF format.