The Indian Government launched the Aadhaar Card in 2009 to provide a unique identification number to every Indian citizen. Since then, Aadhaar has come a long way and has become an important component of many Indians’ identities. The Aadhaar Virtual ID is a 16-digit number linked to your Aadhaar. It serves as an important document in the authentication and verification of your identity, address and even age. Let’s try to understand this in a bit more detail.
What Does Aadhaar Virtual ID Mean?
The Aadhaar Virtual ID (VID) is a 16-digit, random number linked to your Aadhaar Card. You can generate the number. It is a temporary number that you can revoke anytime by generating another VID. Instead of the Aadhaar number, you can use the ID number for verification, and the verification will be done successfully.
Features of Aadhaar Virtual ID
Here are some of the salient features of the Aadhaar Virtual ID –
- The Aadhaar Virtual ID is valid for a day. After that, it gets deactivated.
- You can generate another Aadhaar Virtual ID after at least a day of generating the previous one. Once a new VID is generated, the last one gets deactivated.
- There is no expiry period for the VID.
- You can generate the Aadhaar VID only if you have an Aadhaar number.
- You cannot use the VID number to find your Aadhaar number. However, the Aadhaar number is a must to create the VID number.
- You can generate as many VIDs as needed. There is no upper limit on VID generation.
- The VID contains restricted information about the cardholder. Therefore, only the information needed for eKYC purposes can be found through the VID.
Also Read: How to get E-Aadhaar Card?
- The Aadhaar Virtual ID can help you get your eKYC done without furnishing your actual card. This article will give you a complete lowdown on Aadhaar Virtual ID. It would cover –
- The Aadhaar card issues you a 12-digit number which is unique for every cardholder. The Aadhaar card records the following details
- Applying for an Aadhaar card or linking it to your assets is not mandatory. However, the card serves as an important document as your Aadhaar number becomes your identity and helps complete KYC formalities.
Did You Know?
There are about 1,334,547,940 Aadhaar numbers that the UIDAI has generated as of 1st June 2022. Moreover, 72,328,187,870 Aadhaar authentications have been done so far to this date.
The figures show how important Aadhaar has become for the Indian masses.
Why Do You Need Virtual Aadhaar ID?
Providing your Aadhaar number everywhere is fraught with the risk of unauthorised use. Moreover, your Aadhaar number contains crucial information about you that can be misused if fallen into the wrong hands. Hence, the Aadhaar Virtual ID is a good alternative for those who don’t want to provide their Aadhaar numbers for authentication purposes.
Benefits of the Aadhaar Virtual ID (VID)
- It keeps your Aadhaar number and data secure from possible cyberattacks.
- It has limited validity, which further reduces the chances of misuse.
- It is an accepted mode of verifying your Aadhaar.
- Only need-based information is provided by the VID so that your sensitive data can stay protected.
- Your Aadhaar number is inaccessible through the VID. This adds a layer of security.
- It speeds up the process of eKYC.
Are Aadhaar Virtual IDs Secure?
Aadhaar Virtual IDs can be generated only by registered Aadhaar users. Moreover, they are valid for only a day and every time you generate a VID, and a new number is generated. Hence, the VID is quite secure.
How to Generate Aadhaar Virtual ID?
The Aadhaar VID can prove to be a secure substitute for your Aadhaar number and can be used for KYC verifications. So, know how to generate this ID online and use it the next time you need to do an Aadhaar-enabled verification.
You can generate the Aadhaar Virtual ID either through the online portal of UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India) or through the mAadhaar app. Here are the processes of both the modes –
Generating Aadhaar Virtual ID Through the UIDAI Website
- Visit https://uidai.gov.in/. Click on the ‘My Aadhaar’ tab, where you will find the ‘Virtual ID (VID) Generator’ option under the ‘Aadhaar Services’ category. Click on the option.
- A new page would open wherein you would have to enter your Aadhaar number and captcha code.
- Click on ‘Send OTP’, and an OTP will be sent to the registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP to verify the mobile number.
- The VID would be generated and shown on the screen. Moreover, it would be sent to your registered mobile number too.
Besides providing the facility of generating the Aadhaar Virtual ID, the UIDAI website also provides a host of Aadhaar-related services. Some of these include the following –
- Booking an appointment for the Aadhaar application.
- Downloading eAadhaar.
- Verifying email ID and mobile number.
- Locking and unlocking your biometrics, etc.
So, Aadhaar cardholders can visit the UIDAI portal to avail the above-mentioned services also.
Generating Aadhaar Virtual ID Through the mAadhaar App
- Download the mAadhaar app and register on it.
- Open the app and, on the home screen, click on the option ‘Generate Virtual ID.’
- Enter your Aadhaar number and the 4-digit captcha code.
- Click on ‘Request OTP’ to receive the OTP on your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP received and click on ‘Generate VID.’
- The VID would be generated and displayed. You would also get the VID via SMS.
- If you have generated the Aadhaar Virtual ID earlier and want to retrieve it, you can do so using the same process. However, instead of choosing ‘Generate Virtual ID’, select ‘Retrieve VID’, and you will be able to check the last VID generated.
Services Where Aadhaar VID is Acceptable Instead of Aadhaar Number
You can use your Aadhaar VID for the following purposes:
- For opening another account at your bank.
- For availing of government-sponsored subsidies.
- For applying for tatkal passports.
- For availing insurance policies.
Word To Remember
It stands for Know Your Customer. It is the necessary verification process that is done when a person applies for a new account.
Pros and Cons of Virtual Aadhaar ID
This ID is useful, but it also has some drawbacks. Have a look at the pros and cons of the VID –
|The Aadhaar Virtual ID secures your Aadhaar number and details.||Not many people are aware of the VID facility and its use.|
|It is a revocable number that can be generated multiple times.||The process is online and might involve some technical errors. It might prove ineffective in an emergency.|
|It helps in valid verifications without disclosing the Aadhaar number.|
Your Aadhaar VID is a temporary 16-digit number that is linked with your Aadhaar number. You can use it in the place of your actual Aadhaar number during e-KYC services or any other authentication process. In fact, your Aadhaar VID is much more secure than your Aadhaar number. So, learn how to generate this VID through the UIDAI website or the mAadhaar app, and you will find that this number can make your life more convenient.
Also Read: All about Aadhaar Card Password
No, you would have to give your consent for VID-based authentications. Furthermore, the authentication needs the VID, which you only have to provide.
No, generating the Aadhaar Virtual ID is completely free of cost.
The VID is also sent through SMS to the registered mobile number. So, if you forget it, you can check the SMS. If you don’t have the SMS, you can also retrieve the VID through the UIDAI portal or the mAadhaar app.
Yes, you can use a single VID for multiple verifications, provided such verifications are done within the day when the VID is valid.
No, no entity can store your Aadhaar Virtual ID. The entity can only use the VID for authentication.
No, Virtual ID does not have an expiration date. In fact, your VID will expire only when you generate a new VID.
Yes. You can use your VID as a valid proof of authentication in place of your Aadhaar number.
No. Only you can generate your own VID.
No. To generate your VID, you need to have linked your mobile number with your Aadhaar.
Read more about Smart Aadhaar Card.