The Income Tax Return service is available to all the taxpayers who file their ITRs. By checking your Income Tax Return status, you can check whether your return is successfully processed or still pending.
Let’s know all that is to know about how to check your Income Tax Return status online.
Did You Know
You do not need to log in to IT Department website to check your ITR status. All you need is the ITR acknowledgement number and you can check your ITR status any time!
What Is Income Tax Return Status?
Income tax return status is a service provided by the Income Tax Department of India. This service allows the taxpayers to check the progress of the Income Tax Return they filed. If there’s any discrepancy or any issue, the same can be checked in the ITR status report.
And if you’re wondering as to how to check status of income tax return filed by you for a particular assessment year, it’s a fairly easy process available online.
Let’s see how to check income tax return status in the sections below.
How to Check Income Tax Return Status?
If you are wondering how to check your income tax return status, follow the stepwise process as shown below:
- Go to the homepage of the Income Tax Department of India
- Click the “Quick Links” section to find the Income Tax Return Status option
- Click on the “Income Tax Return (ITR) Status” option.
You will be directed to a new page where you need to fill out the Income Tax Return acknowledgment number and the captcha code as shown.
- Click on “Continue“.
The above method helps you check the income tax return status without using login credentials. If you want to check your income tax return status using login credentials, follow the steps shown below:
- Log in to the e-filing website
- The income tax return status will appear on your screen (check the image below for reference)
Types of Income Tax Return Status
The Income Tax Department of India classifies the income tax return status into the following categories:
- Submitted and pending for verification: This is the status at the time of filing the ITR without verification or when the signed ITR-V of the taxpayer has not reached the CPC.
- Successfully e-verified: This is the status when the return is submitted and duly e-verified, but the return has not been processed yet.
- Processed: This is the status indication when the return is processed successfully.
- Defective: This status indicates a lack of essential information in the return. Here, the IT Department will ask for a correction within a specified time. A notice will be sent to the concerned individual or the company under section 139(9).
- Case Transferred to the Assessing Officer: This status implies that the ITR has been transferred to the jurisdictional AO (Assessing Officer) from the CPC (Central Processing Centre.
- The Indian Income Tax Act, 1961, was introduced by the Indian government after independence and has undergone many amendments with time
- Income tax is a tax that the government imposes on the people based on the earnings of individuals and businesses
- The income tax return status can be checked using the ITR Acknowledgement Number
- ITR status can be checked pre-login or post-login to IT Department official website
Income Tax Return Status: FAQs
The acknowledgment number can be obtained from the ITR-V through the registered email after e-filing the return.
The ITR service can be used to check the previous as well as the current IT return filings.
You can log in to the IT e-filing website and select ‘Update Contact Details’ under Profile settings.