The Universal Account Number (UAN) is a one-of-a-kind identification number given to members of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). UAN allows Provident Fund (PF) account holders to access services, such as withdrawal and checking EPF balance, without relying on their employer. It has also simplified the process of obtaining the PF loan application. So, now that you know briefly about the UAN number, let’s learn how to generate UAN number for new employees and also how to create UAN number for PF account. You will also learn how to generate UAN number for old PF account.
- Understanding what is UAN
- How to register for UAN
- How to generate UAN number
- How to troubleshoot any problem with your UAN account.
UAN – Universal Account Number
The Universal Account Number (UAN) is a unique 12-digit number that is assigned to each employee who contributes to the EPF scheme. The Employee Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) creates/generates, and distributes the UAN. Once you learn how to generate UAN number and complete the process, it is then authenticated by the Government of India’s Ministry of Labour and Employment. Let’s learn in detail how to generate UAN number and how to create UAN number activation.
How to know your existing UAN
Two popular methods employees can use to register for UAN are listed below.
- By way of the employer: Employees can learn about and obtain their UAN by speaking with their respective employers. It can also generally be found on the salary slip of the employee.
- By entering your Member ID into the UAN portal: Employees who are unable to obtain their UAN from their employer can use the UAN portal to obtain their UAN. Employees must follow the steps mentioned below in order to register and obtain their UAN from the UAN portal. You will need to do these steps to learn how to generate UAN number.
- Visit the UAN portal.
- Locate the ‘Know Your UAN Status’ option on the homepage of the portal and click on it. This option is located on the right side of the page.
- On the following page, the employee must enter all of the requested information, such as their state of residence/employment and EPFO office. Personal information such as their DOB and name, followed by captcha verification.
- After entering all of the information mentioned above, click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’ button at the end of the form.
- The PIN/OTP will be sent to your UAN registered mobile phone number. After entering the PIN, click on the ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ option at the end of the form.
- Your UAN number will be delivered to your registered mobile number through SMS.
Did You Know?
Did you know that the following documents can be used for KYC verification when you want to create your UAN number? Your Driving Licence, Bank Account Number, Ration Card, Permanent Account Number, Aadhaar Card, Election Card, National Population Register (NPR), and Passport.
How to generate UAN number?
You must first activate their UAN in order to enjoy all of the benefits of the EPFO portal. The activation of the UAN is a straightforward procedure, as detailed below:
- To begin, the individual must go to the EPFO website.
- The individual must then click on ‘For Employees,’ which is located under the ‘Our Services’ tab.
- On the next page, the employee must select ‘Member UAN/Online Services (OCS/OTCP)’ from the ‘Services’ section.
- The employee must then click ‘Activate UAN’ on the following page.
- Individuals must enter their UAN, name, DOB, phone number, email ID, and captcha details on the following page. Individuals must then click on ‘Get Authorization Pin.’
- Individuals will be sent an OTP to their mobile phone numbers.
- After entering the OTP/PIN and checking the disclaimer box, the individual must click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN.’
- Individuals will receive their UAN and password via text message to their registered mobile phone numbers. They will need to use these credentials to access the EPFO portal.
UAN Registration & Activation Online
The online registration and activation of a Universal Account Number (UAN) allow access to all of the information available in an individual’s account on the official website of the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO). After registering and activating your account, which takes only a few minutes, you will be able to do everything online, from viewing your account balance to withdrawing your Provident Fund (PF) amount. You can then access your EPF account from anywhere at any time of day or night using a mobile or computer device with an active internet connection, making it very convenient and straightforward to manage.
Employees can log in to the EPF portal using their UAN number as the username and the new password they created after activating the UAN. After logging in, the following EPF-related tasks can be completed.
- Take a look at the UAN card and passbook.
- View the status of PF linking and a list of all member IDs
- View the status of PF transfer claims, file transfer claims, and system-generated transfer claims.
- Change your personal information, such as your phone number and email address.
- KYC information should be updated, and KYC documents should be uploaded.
- View the helpdesk contact information.
What happens to your UAN number when you change jobs?
The EPF account number and member ID change when an employee changes jobs, but the UAN number does not. If you have two UAN numbers, you must immediately notify your employer and EPFO so that the old UAN number can be deactivated and the existing EPF fund can be transferred to the new PF account.
If a company has twenty or more employees, an employer will generate a UAN number for each of them. The employee must provide the former organization’s UAN number to the employer.
Did You Know?
Did you know that members who update their KYC information on the UAN portal, receive the following benefits
- Simple withdrawal of PF funds.
- Transferring PF funds is simple.
- Members will receive monthly SMS notifications regarding their PF.
Important points you should know about UAN
- A UAN is a permanent account number.
- UAN allows a member’s multiple EPF accounts to be linked.
- The KYC documents you need to submit for UAN linking are a member’s PAN, Aadhaar, and bank account details.
- Previously held EPF accounts can be linked using digitally authenticated KYC.
- EPF services are available directly through Aadhaar-enabled UANs.
- The EPFO assigns UAN to members who have made at least one contribution since January 2014 or later.
- EPF members who do not have UAN and have not made any contributions since January 2014 may request that UAN be assigned to them by the EPFO.
- A member must register their mobile number with the EPFO in order to activate their UAN. They have the option to change the mobile number associated with the UAN at a later time.
- Any Indian citizen, whether or not they are an EPF member, can apply for a UAN.
- Members with an Aadhaar-enabled UAN can submit their EPF claims to the EPFO directly. Members do not need to contact their employers for claim attestation.
- Online applications are accepted for all UAN-enabled member services.
- UAN-enabled member services are beneficial to EPF members who frequently change jobs and locations.
- After logging in to the Unified Portal, EPF members can download their UAN card from their online account.
- When changing jobs, members who already have UAN should provide their KYC and UAN to the new company. This will make it easier for the member’s previous EPF account to be transferred automatically.
Documents Required for UAN Activation
- Aadhaar card
- PAN Card
- Driving license
- Voter ID
- Bank account details and IFSC
- Proof of Address
- ESIC Card
Merging Multiple PF Accounts using UAN
Instead of closing a PF account every time a subscriber changes jobs, they can now use their UAN to merge multiple PF accounts and manage all accounts as one. Those who want to merge multiple PF accounts using their UAN can do so by following the steps outlined below. Before proceeding with the process of merging their accounts, subscribers must ensure that they meet the conditions listed below.
Did You Know?
Did you know that by linking your Aadhaar card to your UAN, you can submit claims without needing an attestation from your employer and without having to provide any documentary evidence to the EPFO for partial withdrawals for medical, education, or marriage needs.
If the employee already has a UAN and moves to another organization, all they have to do is provide the UAN upon joining, and the new employer will link a new member ID to the employee’s UAN. Throughout a person’s career, their UAN remains the same.
Employees may be assigned two UANs in some cases for a variety of reasons when submitting the UAN to previous and current employers. If this occurs, the employee must immediately contact the EPF helpdesk and mention both UANs; after proper verification, the previous UAN will be blocked, and the current UAN will be activated.
The UAN card includes the employee’s UAN number. The photo and KYC information are displayed on the front of the card (in case the KYC documents are verified by the employer). The back of the card contains the most recent five-member IDs as well as contact information for the EPF helpdesk.
If an employee needs to change their date of birth, father’s name, or own name, they can submit a formal application with supporting documentation to their employer. For more information on changing personal details on the UAN card, contact the EPF helpdesk.
Members currently have access to the following amenities:
The UAN Card is available for download.
The passbook is available for download.
Previous member IDs are viewable.
KYC information can be entered.
Personal information can be changed.
Check your eligibility for an online transfer claim.
During UAN activation, the member will be required to create a password. The password length must be within 8 to 25 characters, contain a special character, and be alphanumeric.
Also Read: Balance Check With & Without UAN