Do you have an EPF or PF account? If you’re working in an organisation of more than 20 employees and your basic salary is Rs 15,000 or below, you already have a PF account. This means, your UAN is also generated which is linked to your current PF account.
Here, we will tell you how to know your UAN and how to activate your UAN by call, SMS and online.
What is UAN?
UAN or Universal Account Number is a 12-digit unique number which is assigned to every employee having an EPF account and contributes to the same.
This number is the identification of one’s PF account. It is used for EPF member login, to check their PF account balance, to check their most recent PF contribution. Without UAN, it can get substantially difficult to check PF balance and to withdraw PF account, if and when needed.
How to Know your UAN Online?
Follow the steps given below to “Know Your UAN”:
Step 1: Visit the EPFO official website (epfindia.gov.in)
Step 2: Click on “Services” tab and then select the “For Employees” option.
Step 3: Select “Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/ OTCP)”.
Step 4: Click on “Know Your UAN” from the Important Links section.
Step 5: Enter your mobile number and Captcha. Next, Click on “Request OTP”.
Step 6: Enter the OTP that you received on this registered mobile number to know your UAN.
How to Know your UAN by SMS?
Another option to know your EPFO UAN is by SMS. For this, it is important that your mobile number is registered and updated in EPFO records. Send the following SMS to know your UAN:
“EPFOHO<UAN><LAN>” to 7738299899
Here, <LAN> is for the language in which you wish to receive the message. Language codes:
- Hindi – HIN
- English – ENG
- Bengali – BEN
- Telugu – TEL
- Tamil – TAM
- Gujarati – GUJ
- Marathi – MAR
- Punjabi – PUN
English is the default language. If you do not add the language code, you will get the reply in English.
How to Know your UAN by Missed Call?
Another option to know your UAN and to get your latest PF account balance, you can give a missed call to:
Make sure to dial the abovementioned number using your registered mobile number only. After this call, you will receive an SMS containing your UAN, latest PF account balance and most recent PF contribution.
How to Activate your UAN?
- Go to EPFO official website.
2. Open “Services” tab and click on “for Employees”.
3. Click on “Member UAN/Online Service (OCS/ OTCP)”.
4. Under the Important Links section, click on “Activate UAN”.
5. Enter your UAN, Aadhaar, name, date of birth, mobile number and Captcha.
6. Read the declaration and click on it.
7. Hit the “Get Authorization Pin” button to proceed and activate your UAN.
Benefits of UAN – For Employees
An active UAN provides the employees with a host of services, viz.:
- Online tracking of PF account balance
- Online transfer of EPF accounts
- Online checking of EPFO claim status
- View EPF passbook online
How to Generate UAN?
To generate UAN for a new employee, the employer must follow the instructions given below:
- Visit the EPFO official website.
- Open “Services” section at the top of the homepage and select “For Employers”.
- Find “Online ECR/ Challan Submission/ OTCP” and click on it.
- Sign in using your establishment Username and Password.
- Open the “Member” section and select the “Register Individual” option.
- Enter employee details in the form thus opened and check the details.
- After checking properly, go to the “Approval” section to approve the details.
- Once the details are approved and submitted, a new UAN will be generated by the EPFO.
Read More: Direct UAN Allotment by Employees (Employees can now self-allot UAN using the EPFO e-SEWA Portal)
UAN Activation: FAQs
Log into EPFO Employer Login portal and then register for a new individual online. New UAN will be generated online.
No. As an employee, your UAN is generated by the Ministry of Labour and Employment via your employer. You can activate your UAN but cannot generate a new UAN by yourself.
No. Your UAN is a 12-digit unique and universal number and remains same throughout your life. PF account number can change as you join a new company. You can have multiple PF accounts and all these accounts are linked to your UAN.
Yes, EPF passbook can be downloaded using your UAN and Password at the EPF UAN Passbook portal or via the Umang mobile app.