We live in a world increasingly transitioning to a virtual lifestyle. Everything is going digital – from our clocks to phones and a number of other services. Irrespective of where you keep up, you must keep your documents ready in order to access the most basic services.
This is where ‘Know Your Customer’, popularly called KYC, becomes an integral part of banking and managing finances in India. KYC is a ledger that couples your details with government-backed certificates of identity. Filling out a EPFO KYC form is a mandatory requirement of most institutions if you wish to avail their services.
EPFO KYC: Step-wise Process to Update KYC Details on EPF Portal
- Visit the member portal for EPFO
- Use your UAN and fill the Captcha to log in to your member portal
- Now, click on manage from the menu bar on top
- Select KYC option from the menu below
- You will not be directed to a new page with a list of varying document type
- Click on checkbox right next to the type of document you wish to update
- Fill out the document details in the respective fields
- Click save post updating the necessary details
- Once the details are updated, your KYC document status shall be visible under the option for KYC pending for approval
- The status will appear under the digitally approved KYC post final approval from the employer
- You will finally receive notification via SMS, once your employer approves the document.
Also Read: What is EPF? – A Detailed Guide
Eligibility Criteria for EPFO KYC
The EPFO is an umbrella institution, which serves as a single-window contact to facilitate all transactions in your Provident Fund account. Employees’ Provident Fund or EPF is a savings scheme in India for the salaried professionals.
The EPFO, through its offline branches and the Universal Account Number (UAN) allotted to all salaried beneficiaries, offers a gamut of employee-specific services via its UAN portal.
These services include Provident Fund registration, management of the contribution toward PF, PF withdrawals, and filing of returns among others.
It is, therefore, highly recommended to keep your KYC details updated on EPFO platforms to avail its services. The question that must come to your mind is whether you are eligible for EPFO KYC update. Here are the criteria you must meet for EPFO KYC:
- You must be a salaried professional to update eKYC on EPFO
- You must have a PAN card and Aadhaar along with the details of your salary account to register for UAN and complete the EPFO KYC, track the status of your funds, and manage other services
- To be able to update KYC, the EPFO account must be in place. You must have a UAN number coupled with the EPFO portal
- If you do not already have one, your employer will be able to generate a UAN ID for you. Alternatively, you can also register for the UAN
- Once you have a UAN, you will be sent to the EPFO KYC portal or the eKYC portal wherein you can fill your KYC details
- If you are already a registered member of the EPFO, you are eligible to update your EPFO KYC online
- While the Government of India has made Aadhaar mandatory for social services in 2021, it is yet to undergo implementation. You may not yet require an Aadhaar for opening a UAN account, but there is a catch
- You will be denied access to several important services that the UAN portal allows its registered members with updated KYC. For example, an EPFO KYC update is a must when filing for a PF transfer
- You cannot add a nominee to your UAN with an Aadhaar and PAN number, both of which are mandatory for subscribing to these services
- As per the EPFO portal, Aadhaar is mandatory for filing Electronic Challan cum Return (ECR).
- Keeping your KYC details updated on EPFO platforms allows quick and hassle-free access to its services like PF transfer
- Aadhaar is not mandatory for opening a UAN account. However, in the absence of Aadhaar linking, access to several important services on the EPFO member portal will not be possible
- Aadhaar Card, PAN card, bank account details, passport, and driving license are admissible documents for EPFO KYC update
- You can submit your EPFO KYC update online via the eSewa member portal, the UMANG app, or offline at one of the EPFO offices.
Steps to Complete EPFO KYC Online/Offline
Although you can create an EPFO account without your Aadhaar details, the same should be KYC compliant. With a pending eKYC for EPFO update, you may be unable to access eSewa offers. It is always better to first link your Aadhaar card to your EPFO account online, post which, you can easily upload and verify details.
Linking the Account Online
- Visit the UAN Member eSewa portal to update your EPFO KYC online through eSewa EPFO login
- Use your UAN, including your password, to log into the account
- Under the ‘Manage’ tab, select ‘KYC’ from the drop-down menu
- You will be sent to a different page with a list of documents for linking to the EPFO account
- Choose ‘Aadhaar’ to add your name and Aadhaar number, exactly as it appears on the card
- Your Aadhaar details under EKYC EPFO will be sent to your employer for verification
- Once the EPFO KYC update online is successful, the status of your Aadhaar will show as ‘verified’
- Similarly, you can upload the details of your bank account, PAN card, and driver’s license under the KYC tab on the e KYC portal
- Select the documents you wish to upload. Enter the selected document number, your name, and other details, exactly as these appear on your selected document. If you are updating your bank details, enter your savings account number, name, and the IFSC code
- After uploading the documents, click on save
- Your KYC will show ‘Pending for Approval’. To get the same verified, submit the document proof to your employer. Your details will update after the employers’ verification
Linking the Account Offline
Alternatively, you can visit any of the EPFO offices and apply to link your Aadhaar to your EPF account.
- Collect the Aadhaar Seeding Application form from the EPFO office in your city.
- Fill in the necessary details, including UAN and Aadhaar numbers.
- You need to attach self-attested copies of the UAN, PAN and Aadhaar with the form.
- Drop the form at the office, wherein it’s submission will be done for the verification of EPFO KYC update.
- Post the linking of your Aadhaar to the EPF account, you will receive a confirmation text on your mobile number with your Aadhaar.
How to Register Contact Details for Universal Account Number?
To register your mobile number on the EPFO portal, you must follow these ste
- Visit the EPFO Member Portal
- Select the ‘Activate UAN’ option on the right side of the screen under the ‘Important Links’ option.
- Now, enter your UAN number, date of birth, name, email ID and mobile number.
- Post entering the details, click on the ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- You will now receive an OPT on your number.
- Next, submit the OTP to activate the UAN. This way, your number will be able register with your EPF account too.
- When your EPFO KYC update or registration is successful, you will start receiving alerts on your monthly balance with the Provident Fund. This includes SMS alerts on your registered mobile number.
Did You Know ?
Without a successful EPFO KYC update, online claims on the portal will decline. You can seed your UAN with Aadhaar on the EPFO KYC portal for filing claims and withdrawals.
Benefits of KYC PF Update
Once the PF KYC update is complete, you can avail several benefits like;
- You can make online withdrawal claims only after the EPF KYC update
- Post the update, the EPF account transfer can be done seamlessly
- You receive updates through SMS
Customer Support of EPFO UAN
If you have any queries, you can register your grievance on EPFiGMS. Alternatively, you can call the toll free number – 1800118005
How to Track Your EPFO KYC?
When it comes to EPFO KYC track status, after updating your EPFO KYC, track its status on the eKYC EPFO portal. You will get a text message as soon as your employer approves your KYC. In the meantime, you can track your EPFO KYC update on the member portal. Here are the steps:
- Go to the EPFO KYC login on the Member eSewa portal and login.
- Go to the ‘Manage’ tab and click on the ‘KYC’ option.
- You will get a list of all updated and approved documents under this tab. This included ‘Currently Active KYC,’ ‘KYC Pending for Approval’ and ‘KYC History (Approved/Rejected/Invalidated).’
Word to Remember
The eSewa portal allows the EPFO to process claims and requests submitted online by beneficiaries having an authenticated UAN with the help of eSewa KYC form. This facility obviates the need for members to visit a regional office of the Employee Provident Fund to file requests.
EPFO KYC update is essential to unlocking the complete benefits of the Universal Account Number (UAN) that allows you to manage your Provident Fund. While it is not compulsory to update your KYC, EPFO benefits such as claims and filing for nomination or changing contact details will not be available to members without seeding of Aadhaar and PAN.
Also, without successful completion of eKYC, EPFO would restrict access to your employer, resulting in loss of claims and validation of your status with an organization.
Just log in to your eKYC portal on EPFO and update your KYC for efficient management of your savings in your PF.
Frequently Asked Questions
It is advisable to complete your EPFO KYC update, otherwise you may not be allowed to use services like filing e-nomination, transferring your PF account, or filing withdrawal claims.
Usually, it takes 3-5 days for approval of the EPFO KYC update. If it is taking longer, you can get in touch with the EPF Grievance Portal.
Once you have updated the KYC details on the unified EPFO portal, your employer will approve the same.
You can call the EPFO helpline at 1800 118 005. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org for any technical support.
You do not have to regularly check for approval of the EPFO KYC update. Once done, you will be informed via text message on your registered mobile number.
Yes, you can upload documents online on the EPFO member portal.
When updating KYC for EPF UAN, you will need PAN card, Aadhaar card, passport, driving license, election card, ration card, National Population Register certificate and bank details.
In case your employer does not approve KYC details, you can choose to directly approach the HR department or administration with request.
The KYC documents can be approved within 3 to 5 business days, once uploaded on the EPFO portal.
You must visit the EPFO member portal for the verification of the PF KYC status. You can sign up by entering the UAN, password and then the captcha. Choose the KYC option from the menu below the ‘manage’ tab, post a successful log in.
Read more about Aadhaar enrolment Forms.