Maestro has been affiliated with Mastercard since 1992. It is a global debit card service. It is a prepaid card that can be used at POS terminals and it seamlessly interacts with Chip-and-Pin machines. Payment authorisation is granted by the cardholder’s bank to ensure sufficient funds and the cardholder confirms the transaction by either entering a secret PIN or signing the sales receipt.
Established in 1992, Maestro is a global debit card service owned by MasterCard. These debit cards are issued by partner banks and can be linked to the cardholder’s checking account. Maestro cards are widely accepted at Point of Sale (POS) terminals displaying the MasterCard/Maestro logo. To complete a transaction, the card provider bank must authorise it, ensuring sufficient funds. Additionally, the cardholder verifies the transaction by entering a 4-digit PIN. Maestro serves as MasterCard’s primary debit brand, comparable to VISA debit cards. In most nations, Maestro cards function like standard debit cards, requiring payment authorisation. Transactions are secure, utilising chip or magnetic stripe technology linked to the card provider’s encrypted data, facilitating POS authorisations.
The key features and benefits of Maestro Debit cards are given below:
- Maestro debit cards can be used conveniently while travelling abroad.
- The United Kingdom has the highest number of Maestro debit card users, with approximately 1 million locations accepting Maestro.
- You can easily get cashback when needed, typically at supermarkets.
- There are no preset spending limits, except for the available balance in your account.
- Maestro simplifies tracking monthly expenses, with detailed itemised statements sent via email, mobile, and post.
- Using Maestro eliminates the need to carry large amounts of currency, making it a practical choice.
- The Maestro Debit Card expiry date will be five years from the date of issue.
- Making payments with Maestro is more convenient and hassle-free than writing checks or carrying cash and searching for exact change.
- The end-of-month bill will no longer bother you. Instead, transactions are debited from your account shortly after the purchase.
You can apply for Maestro Debit Cards online either through the official website of the bank or through Internet banking.
- Go to the official website of the bank
- Choose the ‘Maestro Card’ of your choice under the ‘Cards’ option on the dashboard
- Complete a simple application form that opens on the next page.
- The bank might require some documents which you will have to upload.
- The request will be processed and if accepted, the card will be issued within 10 to 15 days.
- The card will be dispatched to your communication address with the bank.
- If you have opted for net banking services, access your net banking account with the login credentials.
- Choose debit cards under the ‘cards’ option
- Provide the required information and submit the request.
- The request will be processed and if accepted the card will be issued within a few days.
- It will be delivered to your contact address registered with the bank.
To obtain the card offline
- Visit the bank branch where you have a savings or current account
- Collect the application form for the Maestro Debit Card
- Submit the duly filled and authenticated form at the counter.
- The form will be reviewed and if the request is accepted a card will be issued within a few days.
- The card will be delivered to your doorstep.
Maestro Debit Card FAQ’s:-
The key difference between Maestro cards and Mastercards is that Maestro cards can be issued as debit cards only whereas Mastercard debit cards as well as Mastercard credit cards can be issued.
The debits in Maestro cards are linked to savings or current accounts of the cardholder and majorly depend on the balance in the accounts. Preset limits are provided for Mastercard credit cards so the debits are billed for the statement period and will provide the advantage of an interest-free credit for 45 days.
The last 3 digits of the debit card are Maestro Card CVV number
A convenience fee will be collected for purchases at POS terminals and also ATM cash withdrawal charges will be collected for transactions beyond the free limit.
The Maestro card logo will be present either on the front or the back of your debit card.
Yes. Multiple accounts can be linked to Maestro Debit Cards.